Weekly Blog 5 : Decals 【CAGD 495】

 



This week, I was challenging Substance Designer and Decals. I am a beginner in using Substance Designer and studying with a tutorial, so it took a long time to generate this simple map. The hardest part is to delete the circle which is the border of the clip. To solve this problem, I prepared other circles and attached them to the other channel of the blend node. After making a pattern, I created normal, 2 base color, and opacity (gray scale) output nodes and exported them to Photoshop.
After exporting to Photoshop, I merged 2 base color maps and created 1 base color map. I had already decided one base color will be the top and the display style will be overlayed. I think this process was successful and could express cracks that are a little bit burning and shining. 
Inside of Unreal Engine, I created decals with attaching base map, Opacity map, normal map, and emission map. There was no plan to put an emission map. But I attached it because the whole scene is in low light intensity and cracks would be emphasized if I attached an emissive map.
I used only 1 base color map and 1 normal map to make 6 (7 but 1 of them did not work well) different patterns of decals. I prepared several opacity maps and made variations. Opacity map decides how much area will be shown in the scene, so that idea came up. There’s another benefit to creating several opacity maps. First, designers can decrease project data. Texture size is not big and does not seem to be strongly related. But I believe such small differences are also important to create video games. Second, designers can edit the shape of decals in their hand in detail. Such as I did in photoshop, designers can change an opacity map freely in photoshop or other software because it is a grayscale map. They can use their own brushes in the painting software and I believe this process is better to create in detail than generating it in a substance designer.Next week, I’ll create the gate or keep doing decals. I am interested in creating more decals.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week5 Sprint

Sprint 2 CAGD 495

Sprint 5 CAGD 495